Saturday, April 9, 2016

Crystal Grottoes

Today, my oldest daughter and I went to Crystal Grottoes in Boonsboro, Maryland.

Admission to the cave is $20 for adults, $10 for kids 11 and under. There are $1 off coupons available on their website and on brochures in the lobby of the cave.

We arrived at the cave shortly after lunch.

The visitors center and where you enter the cave

After we paid for our tour, we waited about 15 minutes for the previous tour to finish and the tour guide to complete her break.

We then headed down the stairs into the cave. Our tour consisted of 4 of us, a couple and my daughter and myself.

The entrance to the cave

At the bottom of the stairs, you turn and enter the cave. The tour guide pointed out where they had blasted into the cave. The cave doesn't have a natural entrance, but miners dynamited into it.

The black marks where they dynamited

The black marks where they dynamited


The tour guide claimed that this cave has the most decorations per square foot of any cave in the world. I don't know if that is true, but it certainly is plastered with decorations, more than any other cave I've been to.


The Crystal Palace

Fantasy Land






















The mummy





The string looking thing is a honeysuckle root 45 feet below the surface


Supposedly a dragon




Looking up 55 feet which is 5 feet beneath the surface





In the formation, there is a horse with an elephant on its back with a giraffe on its back

My daughter's favorite feature



Pool

The blankets

My daughter and me in front of the blankets
The tour lasted about 30 minutes. If you are in the area, a nice cave tour to see a beautiful cave.

No comments: