Sunday, November 5, 2017

The Forgotten Birthday

About 4 p.m., I was on Skype with my niece being interviewed for a school project. The hotel room phone rang. I excused myself to answer. The hotel front desk was calling. "Sir, we would like to wish you a happy birthday! May we bring you a cake?" I told them thank you very much and yes, they could bring me a cake. I finished up the Skype interview after telling her and my brother's family about the call. Not even a "happy birthday," despite me telling them about the birthday cake.

About 5 p.m., there was a knock on the hotel room door. A man in a tuxedo was holding a cake box. He brought it into my room, thanked me for staying at the hotel, and left. I opened the cake and enjoyed a slice of my birthday cake.

It was a good cake. I shared it with my co-workers.

My birthday that even my family forgot. Only the hotel remembered.

My birthday, however, is in April.

No comments: