Thursday, March 20, 2008

Return from the Caprock

I returned yesterday from the Caprock. I ended up spending the entire trip at Caprock Canyons State Park. I felt there was too much to do there to cut it short by a day to go to Palo Duro Canyon.

Click to see a map of Caprock Canyons and the Trailway.

I arrived at Caprock Canyons Sunday afternoon. I got my permits and hiked back to North Prong primitive area. I spent the night camped there. That evening, I first heard the howls of coyotoes which I would hear for the rest of the trip. The next morning I got up, broke camp, and began hiking along the Upper Canyon Trail. I reached Fern Cave, which turns out is an overhang with a natural seep that waters the ferns growing on the wall. I then hiked out the Hayes Ridge overlook trail. It was incredibly foggy, but I did see several mule deer along the trail. I then drove to the north end of the Eagle Point trail. I wanted to hike to the natural bridge on the map. I got to the location, but didn't find the bridge. I continued searching until I came to where the trail crosses the creek, knowing that I was too far. I went back to where I thought the bridge was. After standing there a little bit, I realized that I was standing on the bridge! It was under the trail, about 50 feet long and 8 feet high. I then drove to the trailway, specifically a trailhead called Monk's Crossing. I hiked about 5 miles south past Clarity Tunnel and set up camp. I would be spending two nights at this location. The next day I hiked 12 miles to the South Plains Terminal in the town of South Plains. I then turned around and hiked back, making it a 24 mile day in 40 degree weather and strong panhandle winds. I was tired when I got back! On the way back and spotted a bobcat down the trail. The next morning I broke camp and hiked the 5 miles back north to the Monk's Crossing trailhead and headed home. It was a great 4 day trip, doing about 45 miles. If you are heading to the panhandle soon, I recommend Caprock Canyons State Park.

No comments: