Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Evaluation Day

Today I was appraised by my principal. We had a lesson on simple machines, focusing on lever types such as levers, pulleys, and wheel and axles. After class, the principal said it was one of the best lessons she had ever seen, but that isn't the point of this story.

A few weeks ago, a fellow teacher of mine, who is also a black belt in karate, mentioned that he would like to break coconuts in my class one day. Since we were doing a lesson on levers, I invited him to come today during his conference period. After I invited him, I received notice of my impending appraisal this week. I went to both assistant principals and invited them to come and watch the other teacher break coconuts. My AP mentioned needing to appraise me. I said it would be a great time to appraise me since she could also watch coconuts break! She said OK. I immediately told the other teacher that I was being appraised "so don't mess up!"

Today, we started class with the breaking of coconuts. Quite a crowd gathered, with principals, teachers, and even a police officer in attendance. With 6 different adults in the classroom, those students weren't going to get away with anything! The coconuts were broken and pieces of coconuts were passed out to all the students. They loved it and so did the AP.

The moral of the story is when you are being appraised, find someone else to teach your class.

1 comment:

Clay said...

he's the campus police officer and your on a first name basis with him.
love
clay