Saturday, March 15, 2008

Spring Break

Yesterday, at 3:40, Spring Break began. Unfortunately for my students, their spring break was cut short by 30 seconds. I was standing by the door and thought that when the bell rang, it would be an excellent time to tell the students to have a good spring break and to be safe. All I heard was "Mr. Woods, MOVE!" I made them say please before I moved. I then went out on the bus run where I worked to convince students that they had to come to school on Monday. I told them that spring break was canceled because they got low marks on their math benchmark exam. Sadly, none of the students appeared to be that gullible. What other job do you get paid to mess with students all day? I love my job.

Today has been a pretty simple day. I spent the morning preparing my lesson for the first day back from Spring Break. We are currently in a unit about waves. Not just ocean waves, but also light, radio, and sound waves. The first day back will be review and talking about amplitude, followed by AM and FM radio. Tuesday will be about seismic waves. I will begin by saying that Tuesday is baseball day and we will be watching Game 3 of the 1989 World Series. That was, of course, the game that was interrupted by an earthquake. We will watch the ABC footage of the earthquake.



We will be watching a shorter clip.

After I prepared the lesson, I spent some time cleaning around the apartment. I ordered and received a new tent this week. It is my first new tent. My old tent was an old LL Bean two man dome tent. I had used it since I joined Boy Scouts as it was one of the troop tents. I acquired the tent when the troop ordered new tents. It has served faithfully for many miles, but I feel it is time to retire from backpacking. I ordered Eureka's Backcountry 2 man tent.


I will be trying it out this week. I will be going to Palo Duro Canyon and Caprock Canyons. I have never been to either park, so I am looking forward to exploring the canyons of the Texas Panhandle.

No comments: