Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'll Take the Combination Plate

I few years ago I came across the Jimmy Buffett Album Banana Wind.


Track #3 is School Boy Heart. You can hear a live version of the song here.

The lyrics (found in their entirety here) describe a person who is a combination of many things.

The second verse is:
I suspect I died in some cosmic shipwreck
With all hands spread all over the deck
What the heck
Then some kind of obscene and unscrupulous mind
Began to pick up what he could find
Added ice, shook me twice, rolled the dice


The chorus starts with
Cause I got a school boy heart, a novelist eye
Stout sailors legs and a license to fly
And finishes each time with a different combination of traits.

I think being a combination of traits is a good thing. I enjoy being 'well rounded.' I can do a bunch of things, even if I do not do them for a living. I have a chemical engineering degree, a masters in education, a teaching license, and I am in the Navy. The path I have taken to joining the Navy wasn't the most direct, but I wouldn't change it if I could. I am thankful for all the things I have picked up along the way. It allows me to do more things and to find enjoyment in a lot of various things.

I am already a combination of education, traits, and life experiences. I plan on adding to these throughout my entire life. I never want to specialize in one thing and give up all my other traits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I am large. I contain multitudes."
I enjoy reading you writing!