Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Time Slips Away

The song Ain't it Funny how Time Slips Away, has been recorded by many artists. I am familiar with some like Willie Nelson and Dave Matthew's Band, but my favorite version is by Al Green and Lyle Lovett.

Amazingly enough, you can hear a copy of this version at this website. The lyrics are available online as well.

The story in the song is a guy meets an old girlfriend of his. He asks her about her new boyfriend and comments that the line about loving him until the end of time is the same thing that she told him. They leave and he mentions that he will probably see her in the future some time, and to remember that someday, she will going to pay.

The reason I like the Lovett/Green version is three fold, Green's voice, Lyle's my favorite artist, and the big band sound. Lovett and Green are backed up by Lyle's Large Band. The sound is amazing.

I also am captured by the concept of time slipping away.

The past few weeks, I don't even know how many, I have been doing some temporary work. I am enjoying it, I am involved in something that I enjoy, camping. Time has slipped away. I don't even know how long it has been. I wake up in the morning, go to work, come home, eat dinner, read, sleep, repeat. No wonder time slips away.

I cannot cause time to slow down. I have always wanted to though. When I was younger, I thought it would be cool to have the power to make time stop for how ever long I needed it to. This was mainly so I could finish my homework without losing any fun time.

A lot of times, when I am going some place I know I will really enjoy, I think about how in just a matter of time, I will be leaving that place. So far, I have left every place I went to, except for the coffee shop I am currently at. In just a few minutes, I will be leaving here too.

Time slips away.

I can't figure out how to hang on to things, because everything I have done, except writing this post, has ended. This too will end in just a few minutes. Perhaps the best solution is given by Lawrence Millman. When one adventure ends, the only thing there is to do is start another one.

I am off to start another adventure. Time will be slipping away.

No comments: