Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day at the Museum

Today I went to downtown Pensacola. One of the places I went to was the TT Wentworth Museum.



Museums are extremely important. They teach us things that our teachers refused to teach us in school. Take today, I learned about the curious case of Charlotte May Pierstorff. Pierstorff holds the distinction of being the only person to have been mailed via the US Postal Service.

In 1914, she wanted to visit her grandparents who lived 75 miles away on the otherside of some mountains in Idaho. Her parents couldn't afford a train ticket, so they instead bought some postage stamps. She was under the weight limit for parcel post, so the USPS mailed her. She rode the baggage car on the train to her grandparents' town. Upon arriving to the town, the mailman delivered her. Shortly after, the Postmaster General banned the mailing of humans.

Why did my teachers deprive me of such essential knowledge???

No comments: