Saturday, January 14, 2012

A step in the right direction (Part 1)

A year ago I was single, no children. Now I am a husband, a father of two, and about to have my first child. Make sense?

My now wife was divorced and had two children from her first marriage. When I was single, the thought of marrying someone who was divorced or had children was something I never thought of. After meeting her, I knew I wanted to consider the idea.

In considering that idea, I research books, magazine articles, the internet, and the Bible. I found little. I knew that my position, while not common, wasn't unique. Yet, I wasn't able to find anything about people in my situation. There was lots about two divorced people remarrying, but nothing about the single guy. So I figured I would write some things on the blog for those who are in a similar situation.

One of the first questions I had from when our mutual friend who set us up first told me about her, why was she divorced?

There are many reasons people get divorced, some are justified, some are not. Society typically views any divorced as justified, unless it is a politician. The Church, well, it has lots of different thoughts.

Reading online, I found several people who claimed that a woman who is divorced should not remarry because she is denying women who are single and not previously married the opportunity to be married. Others said it was acceptable if the cause for the divorce was Biblical. Others said it wasn't an issue at all.

Let's go to the Bible for the matter.

Matthew 5:31-32 says
It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.


Jesus gives us clear guidelines on divorce.

So if the cause of the divorce was Biblical, it can give the single man peace of mind. If it isn't? Luckily God also provides grace upon grace.

So if the divorce wasn't Biblical, one would examine if reconciliation was sought, or can be achieved. If it has been sought but cannot be achieved, has the person confessed their sins to God? God's forgiveness is for all of our sins, including divorce.

Can a divorced woman remarry? Absolutely. If it was in sin, the blood of Christ makes us new and forgives all sins.

We will continue examine other issues in the future.

No comments: