Saturday, March 26, 2016

Don't spoil the ending!

I'm not a big fan of movies. I haven't been to the movie theater since December 25, 2008, when I saw Marley and Me. When I do watch a movie at home with my family, I read the plot first because I want to know what happens. I don't want the suspense of not knowing what happens.

Today is Holy Saturday. Yesterday we remembered the crucifixion of Jesus. Tomorrow we will celebrate the resurrection of our Lord. But don't tell me that yet! Don't spoil the surprise! This isn't some movie, this is God incarnate coming to earth. Let me seek to understand it more than some movie.

Today is the day of waiting. Christ has died. He promised he would rise, but who can rise from the dead? Today we wait to see if the promise of Christ come true. For the captive souls in hell, today is a day of liberation. But for the friends of Jesus in Jerusalem, it was a day of waiting.

Don't play Christ the Lord is Risen Today, yet! Don't tell me about how the stone is rolled away! Let me consider how it might have been the day after Jesus' crucified body was laid in a tomb. Let the suspense hang in the air a little longer.

Tomorrow we will have time to sing Low in the Grave He Lay, and proudly sing He Arose, He Arose, Hallelujah He Arose. Today, let me be a sad, because my Lord and my God is dead.

No comments: