Saturday, December 27, 2008

I Wonder as I Wander

I first heard this song when I played it in my middle school band. I had no idea that it was a Christmas carol, I just thought it was a really cool song. In fact, I didn't know it was a Christmas carol until Christmas this year. I was listening to the radio when this song came on. I finally heard the song. What a great song, both lyrics and tune it is!

Written in 1933 by John Jacob Niles, it is based on part of an Appalachian song he heard. The lyrics are as follows:

I wonder as I wander, out under the sky
How Jesus the savior, did come for die
For poor ornry people like you and like i
I wonder as I wander, out under the sky

When Mary birthed Jesus, twas in a cow stall
With wise men and farmers and shepherds and all
And high from gods heaven a starlight did fall
And the promise of ages, it then did recall

If Jesus had wanted for any wee thing
A star in the sky or a bird on the wing
Or all of gods angels in heaven to sing
He surely could've had it, cause he was the king

I like the melody of the tune. It has a haunted feel to it, as if this phenomenon being discussed it really weird. And weird it is! That God, would come to be born, in a barn, and die so that I, a person full of mistakes, could be with him. What a weird thing indeed!


No comments: