Thursday, December 25, 2008

Why I Don't Say Merry Christmas at the Retail Store

As we have seen in other posts, many people are quite upset about retail stores not saying Merry Christmas or using Christmas in there advertisements. I am not one of those. I usually do not say Merry Christmas at the retail store. Here's why.

First, the goal of the retail store is to make money. This is not bad, I have no problem with them wanting to make money. This however is not the reason for Christmas. The reason for Christmas is to remember to coming of our Savior. I am not reminded of it when I am given a new shirt wrapped in pretty paper.

Second, I love Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride. I hear it in just about every store. However, it does not remind me of the coming of Jesus. It reminds me of what an awesome piece of music it is, or perhaps how someday I too would like to go for a sleigh ride. I do not like the song Santa Baby. I find it weird. It also doesn't remind me of the coming of Christ. Songs like Joy to the World, or Hark! the Herald Angels Sing do remind me of Christmas. But I rarely hear those songs.

Third, I am not really that big on the presents. Maybe I am just a scrooge about it. I enjoy giving presents, but not so much the receiving. I do it because I care for the people, but find that giving to charities or the needy to be a much better endeavor.

Many people say Merry Christmas at the retail stores. That's great! I will say "thank you" when you give me my receipt instead. I am not trying to keep Christ out of Christmas, just the opposite, I am trying to keep him in it.

No comments: