Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Justice versus Justice

This morning, while reading the news on the BBC website, I came across an article Should we Attack Intruders? The question seemed to have been raised by a man in Sudan and was posed to other Africans.

One of the responses was quite interesting.
Wishing I have access to a gun, I can afford it and can pay the license fee, but I am handicapped by the Christian doctrine of "Thou shall not kill" I have had to suffer in response to criminal activities perpetrated in Lagos, I believe the bible so much that killing over material thing which we all definitely leave someday is a hard response to intruders. "He who steals my purse steals nothing, it was mine, now his; and has been a slave to many".
Macaulay, Lagos, Nigeria

In many parts of the US, this is an easy answer, of course! It is your property and you have a right to defend your property. This is argued even from a Christian perspective.

Micah 6:8 reads
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.


What does it mean to act justly? Is carrying out justice acting justly or honoring the life of another, even if they are harming you, acting justly?

No comments: