Monday, June 8, 2009

The Wheels on the Bus go Round and Round

This morning I had the most interesting bus ride I think I have ever had.

I normally ride the bus to work as it saves me from having to pay for parking and the fare is free for me when I am in uniform. The bus route I take goes from my house to my office without having to transfer. It is normally a 45 minute ride staying on surface streets, but this morning, we shaved 5 minutes off the time by adding an unexpected reroute and transfer.

The bus ride started out weird. When I walked to the bus stop 5 minutes early, the bus was already there. I boarded and notice the bus drive was not there. He boarded at our departure time. However, we were soon blocked by a wreck in the road.

The accident had the right hand lane blocked and the police and firefighters were tending to the accident scene. Traffic continued in the left lane around the accident, but for some unknown reason our bus could not. So we sat for about 20 minutes until the accident cleared up.

While we waited, a bus company car with a manager pulled up and talked to our driver. The driver then got on the bus and asked where everyone was going. Those who were going to be getting off before or at the north transfer station were to go in the car. He told the rest of us that he would just drop us off and not worry about the route. I assumed that this meant he would only stop when requested.

The wreck finally cleared and we continued on the route. Soon, the bus driver took a detour and got on the expressway. I walked to the driver and told him my bus stop and asked if we were still going to go there. He said that he wasn't going there and was going to drop us off downtown. The stop he was going to drop us off at was about 15 blocks from my office. I asked him how I was to get to my office and he said to take a 1M bus. Weird, that is what this bus was until the driver decided to reroute us.

We got downtown and the bus driver pulled up to the stop. He called back "Hey chief, come here!" I walked up and he pointed to a stop across the street and said to catch the next 1M at that stop. I thanked him and crossed the street to catch the next bus.

Soon enough, a 1M bus came and I rode it the 15 blocks to my office. Stepping off the bus, I glanced at my watch, trying to figure out if my boss would be OK with the excuse that the bus made me late. 5 minutes early.

The wheels on a bus go round and round. Going round and round town is faster than a straight line.

No comments: