Saturday, July 4, 2009

Too Wet
















I love going to the beach. It seems I have spent a majority of my life on the beach. I love seeing the wildlife, the dunes, the fishing, the shelling. I could stay at the beach forever and be happy. But that water keeps looking at me.


It keeps looking at me as if it wants me to go swimming. To jump in the waves. To get completely soaked. To get wet. But I don't want to get wet!

I use to enjoy swimming. When I was a kid, I loved swimming in the pool, at the lake, at the beach. But as I got older, I didn't like it as much. Now, I just do not like to swim at all.

I recently tried swimming again in a pool in an apartment complex. I got in, swam a couple of laps, then immediately got out and never got back in again. I didn't like being so wet!

My parents have a dog they rescued who is a border collie mix. Ever since they got her, she hated water. When I was younger, I would play in the sprinkler while the dog watched. She would finally get so frustrated that she couldn't be where I was that she would finally stand in the spray of the sprinkler. She hated it.

When I got older, I started taking the dog to the beach. She loved running off leash, taking in the smells and exploring new places. But that water kept calling her.


She and I would both just stand there looking at it, trying to figure out what it was that we didn't like about being so wet. It isn't that I can't swim, I can. I just don't like being wet! So instead, the dog and I stay on the shore. We are happy here, but we don't understand why the water is calling us.

No comments: