Friday, November 13, 2009

The War has Begun!

The war on Christmas has begun! The AFA has released their Naught or Nice list, a list of companies who either embrace Christmas in their advertising or not. Not, contrary to what one would think, the AFA lists a 'naughty' company as one that does not include Christmas in their advertising. It seems that they prefer to see the commercialization of Christmas that has taken place.

I have written about this in the past, so we will combine a few posts on why I do not think we should embrace Christmas in the retail world.

While listening to the radio one morning, a DJ in Kerrville was reading an essay about the "war on Christmas." In the essay, the DJ chastised retail shops for not using the word Christmas in their advertising campaigns. He encouraged everyone to say merry Christmas and not happy holidays. This is just a sample of the numerous claims of an attack on Christmas, usually dealing with retail stores.

The American Family Association, AFA, annually calls for boycotts of stores that do not include the word Christmas in their advertising. This year, they are calling for the boycott of Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic. You can read about the fight here. Gap is guilty of having 172 references of "holiday" in their stores and websites but onyl 3 references of "Christmas."

Has Christmas really become so materialistic that Christian organizations are upset that it is losing its materialism? Is the AFA really complaining because the word Christmas is not used in the secular sense? Stores are not using Christmas to spread the message of Jesus, but instead to make money! Is this what God really wants out of his holiday? A fight over if we can get a Wii or not? A fight over if the sign at Walmart says Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? Is that why Jesus was born 2000 years ago?

Many people are quite upset about retail stores not saying Merry Christmas or using Christmas in there advertisements. I am not one of those. I usually do not say Merry Christmas at the retail store. Here's why.

First, the goal of the retail store is to make money. This is not bad, I have no problem with them wanting to make money. This however is not the reason for Christmas. The reason for Christmas is to remember to coming of our Savior. I am not reminded of it when I am given a new shirt wrapped in pretty paper.

Second, I love Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride. I hear it in just about every store. However, it does not remind me of the coming of Jesus. It reminds me of what an awesome piece of music it is, or perhaps how someday I too would like to go for a sleigh ride. I do not like the song Santa Baby. I find it weird. It also doesn't remind me of the coming of Christ. Songs like Joy to the World, or Hark! the Herald Angels Sing do remind me of Christmas. But I rarely hear those songs in the store.

Third, I am not really that big on the presents. Maybe I am just a scrooge about it. I enjoy giving presents, but not so much the receiving. I do it because I care for the people, but find that giving to charities or the needy to be a much better endeavor.

Many people say Merry Christmas at the retail stores. That's great! I will say "thank you" when you give me my receipt instead. I am not trying to keep Christ out of Christmas, just the opposite, I am trying to keep him in it.

2000 years ago a child was given to us. A child that was prophesied about for hundreds of years. Isaiah wrote

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David's throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the LORD Almighty
will accomplish this.

Luke tells us that during the reign of Caesar Augustus, Joseph took his virgin bride-to-be (who was with child) to Bethlehem to be registered. During the time, Mary gave birth to a child who was called Jesus, which means He will save. And he did save! This child grew up to be the most perfect man to ever live. This man, whose biological father was God himself, came to save us from our sins and allow us to have ever lasting life. 33 years after his birth in a stable, he was hung on a cross. His death was the atonement for our sins, allowing us to be reconciled to God, from whom our sins separated us. His resurrection 3 days later conquered death and gave us eternal life, all who believe in him and take him as their savior. For without Easter, there would be no Christmas. King Jesus now reigns in heaven and in our hearts, having overcome the prince of this world, Satan.

What are people really fighting for? Are we fighting so that God's name will be known throughout the world or that we can feel powerful. Are we fighting for God's glory or our own? To fight for the word Christmas to be placed in store advertising is to fight for your own glory. To fight through prayer and devotion to prepare for the coming of the Christ child is to fight for God's glory.

What are you fighting for?

Now let's go get ready for Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like you :)

Unknown said...

Well sir,

I have a story for you. For a Children's sermon before Thanksgiving the pastor asked what holiday is coming up, and several of the Children yelled Christmas! He said, well that is a holiday but there is one before that, and some of the children knew it was thanksgiving but some of the children looked confused or still insisted that the next holiday we would celebrate is Christmas.


I tell you this story because
I think it is a shame that there is so much commercialization of Christmas that there is no room for Thanksgiving! I am not saying they should exploit thanksgiving just that we need to do a better job of teaching about Thanksgiving. I think it is a great celebration to prepare us for the Christmas season.

Also I have to disagree with you on not saying Merry Christmas. I think that it is up to the department stores to decide what they want to say, but when you are sincere, I believe you can brighten a persons day by saying Merry Christmas. They may have a different understanding of Christmas, but we know the reason for it and should celebrate it. Also maybe even as a more loving way we should say happy holidays- since we are not the only ones celebrating a holiday. Christ would want us to share love with everyone not to just Christians.

Your thoughts?