Sunday, December 27, 2009

You'll fly the way we want you to fly

I enjoy adventures and this week was full of adventures in the skies.

I took a plane trip from Georgia to Texas, including a leg of flying between Hartsfield-Jackson and DFW. The day I flew to Texas, there was a bad weather system over Dallas. The storm dumped snow, created ice on the roads and runways, and had heavy winds. As a result, the airport was reduced to one runway and we were delayed 4 hours leaving ATL. Once in the air, we proceeded to DFW. Upon arriving in the airspace, we were informed that the airport had closed its last runway and we were put in a holding pattern making left turns out east of Dallas. After an hour, the captain informed us that we were out of fuel and were being diverted to Houston Intercontinental to take on more fuel. We landed in Houston, took on fuel, and were told that DFW had reopened one runway. We flew to DFW and landed, 8 hours late. Since it was so late, my rental car company was closed and I had to find another rental. I left DFW about 9 hours later than planned.

I returned to Georgia today. Leaving DFW this morning was delayed by about 45 minutes because a part was broken. They ended up swapping out our plane. We made it to ATL and the captain came over and said he would appreciate it if those who did not have to make an immediate connecting flight remained in their seats and let those of us who did go. I had 45 minutes to make my flight, so I stood. I remained standing for 15 minutes on the plane. The jetway broke and they had to bring in an electrician to fix it so we could deboard. Now with 30 minutes to make it, and 4 terminals to go, I hot footed it to my connecting flight, making it after the entire plane was loaded. I got to the gate and couldn't find an agent, so I walked down the jetway to find one. I found one, but she was not happy to see me. I was chastised for walking down the jetway. Returning to the counter, I gave her my ticket and she then admonished me for being late. Finding that my explanation that I was looking for an agent and I was late because of multiple mechanical failures involving my last flight was not satisfactory for her, I promised to not do such things in the future and boarded the plane, just as they locked the door.

I love adventures!

No comments: