Saturday, December 5, 2009

It's all about the music

I love the Christmas season. The decorations, the cool weather, but mainly, the music. I really like a lot of Christmas music. A lot I do not! Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmas is a song that causes me to turn off the radio or run from the stores playing it. Santa Baby is a very creepy song. But there are lots of good songs. Let's take a look at some of them.

I enjoy some secular songs that have little to do with Christmas. They either are about Santa or the weather. But I do like them.

One is the Overture from Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker.



Another secular song I really enjoy is Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride.



I really like some of the songs that truly are about Christmas.

One of these songs is commonly song during Advent, the season leading up to Christmas. O Come O Come Emmanuel.



Another one has had its name change. Here we will listen to it in the original name, that is Good Christian Men Rejoice. This version is in Latin.



Another song I enjoy is God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman.



Finally, a song that for a long time I didn't know what a Christmas song. I first heard this song in middle school when we played it in band. I loved the tune, but had no idea it was a Christmas song until I heard it with its words last year. I wrote about it at the time. Here is, I Wonder as I Wander.



As great as the music is though, isn't it really all about Jesus?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One of my favorites is Carol of the Bells and the Hallelujah chorus!

Asbury Seminary does a shorter version of Handel's Messiah, with a volunteer choir made up of faculty and students and anyone from the community who wants to join in can. It is beautiful!