Wednesday, June 30, 2010

At least we can laugh at it

I found a blog today, Stuff Christian Like. I enjoyed Post #550, Surviving Church as a Single. I would like to share a few of the 40 things that happen to singles in the church.

1. Your church doesn’t have a singles ministry. = + 1 point

2. Your church has a singles ministry but it’s combined with the college ministry which creates opportunities for conversations like this:
Student: “My roommate bought a microwave for our dorm room. I love being a Freshman!”
Single: “My 401K is underperforming.” = +2 points

3. Your church has a singles ministry but it’s a triad that combines college, single adults and divorce recovery. = + 3 points

4. Your church has a singles ministry but it’s the dreaded quad, combining college, single adults, divorce recovery and retired widowers that refuse to move to Florida. = +4 points

How true is this one! The church I currently go to has a singles ministry. I went for a few months but me and one other person were the youngest by 30 years and the only ones who had never been married. And this is a church of 2,000 people!

7. At church, people give you weird looks if you refuse to sit in the “singles” section of the sanctuary. = +1 point
We don't have one of these. I just get looked at funny for sitting by myself no matter where I am!
11. People are constantly volunteering you for things because, “you’re single, you’ve got so much free time.” = +1 point
I almost got in a fight over this one once, but at work! I was in charge of a meeting and had made a handout for it. As I was passing out the handout a co-worker said "figures you are single since you had time to make a handout!"

21. When friends invite you to their church they start the invite by listing both the quantity and hotness of the singles that go there. = +1 point
I've been told they are in Baptist and Non-denominational churches.

25. The person that leads the singles ministry at your church got married in 1964. = +10 points for each decade they’ve been married.
"Me and my wife lead the singles sunday school class. Would you like to join us?" At least he asked me if I was single and not if I was married.

30. Your best friend of 15 years gets married and then suddenly acts like a magical gap has opened up between you and decides that until you get married too you can’t be close again because you just don’t understand each other anymore. = +3 points
I was told by a friend of mine that it would be very hard for him and I to remain friends since he was married and I was single.

31. To justify giving a four week marriage sermon series to a congregation that is 60% single, the pastor throws out one blanket statement like this at the beginning of the series, “And you single people listen up to this too, this well serve you well when you get married too.” = +2 points
I run out of fingers to count on when I think about the number of times I've heard this comment.

39. You’ve developed highly sensitive, “They’re about to throw the bouquet” radar and know exactly when to leave a wedding. = +2 points
I do this for the garter toss.

We may be single but we still can laugh together!

No comments: