Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Mr. Fancy Pants Living the SOPH Life

Well, I wouldn't fit this description. I would be Mr. Cargo Pants living the POSH life this week. We have been staying at the Double Tree Hotel in Austin. There are at least 3 in Austin, we are at the one at 35 & 290 E. We are staying at this hotel because the teacher conference we are attending is here. I have not been impressed by the high society life. Numerous things have caused me to desire the cheaper if not simpler life.
I am a huge proponent of free wifi. Mainly because I don't want to pay to have internet when I travel. I prefer just finding open networks and accessing the internet. Many hotels, and even motels, have free wifi. Arriving at the hotel, I turned on my computer, found the network, opened Mozilla and Double Tree wanted $10 a day to access the internet... That's OK, I have a modem and just dial in, right? Sure! But Double Tree wants $0.50 per call... Are you kidding me? Here we are in a fancy pants hotel and they charge for local calls? How about some water? Sure! $2 per bottle in your room. Continental breakfast? You bet! $9.00 for your cereal and milk. Give me a $60 a night motel that has free wifi and free donuts over this place anyday...

2 comments:

Chris said...

No wifi in a hotel is unacceptable nowadays. I always try to stay in a Marriott property (preferably Fairfield Inn) for a couple of reasons.

1. Free Internet (it's always free and usually wifi)
2. Free Continental Breakfast
3. All properties are Non-Smoking
4. Their washable pillowtop comforters are soft and clean.
5. Fairfields all have indoor pools.

Chris said...

Oh yeah. And the Marriott points. I've earned 80% of my points for my Germany skiing trip.