Wednesday, November 28, 2007

You're talking, but are they listening?

This week I am in teacher in-services. The content has been great but the delivery is often lacking. I find that it is hard to focus when the deliver is distracting. Usually I make note of issues I see in speakers, not to be nit-picky, but in order to improve myself. Below is my list from this week.

  • Don't stereotype (particularly about males vs females or Texans)
  • Make sure your A/V works. Failure of A/V loses the audience
  • Leave pointless politics out of your speech (Bush really isn't responsible for $3 gasoline and if he was it has nothing to do with education)
  • Give room on the table to work (I have to take notes on my lap because the table is too small)
  • Don't make people sit with their backs turned. If I have to turn my seat 180 degrees to see the speaker, I certainly can't use the table and I feel uncomfortable. Either provide screens in the back or don't use circular tables.
  • Don't give notes that don't follow your speech. It is very confusing when I have to jump around in your notes and if there is critical information missing.

No comments: