Friday, November 16, 2007

What Could Be Better Than This?

How great would it be to be able to say this about your life? This is what I long for.

Tonight I am at a local coffee shop. I enjoy this coffee shop as they provide free wireless, have free refills on coffee and at night, their music is an 80's jam party. We have been partying to Billy Joel, Alannah Myles, and Tears for Fears. I always enjoy listening to the 80's music here as it reminds me of music I remember from when I was young.

Last night I attended my weekly Bible Study. We have been using a study called Walk as Jesus Walked by Ray Vander Laan. Last night's study focused on part of Paul's 1st missionary trip. Paul's trip went through Asia Minor, focusing on a region called Galatia. I want to write about one of the things that stood out for me. It wasn't part of the study but as side remark by the leader of the study. As we were wrapping up the study, we were listing things we thought we should do in order to mimic Paul as he mimics Christ. I forget what she was writing at the time, but the leader mentioned being content in our current position. This is of course something which Paul writes about.

10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:10-13. (NIV)

I have heard this passage numerous times and always wanted to be able to live out this passage. My biggest problem was I never knew what it really meant to be content in all situations. A good place to begin would be to define content. Normally when I think of the word content, it means to be OK with. Not really happy, but not really upset, just content. It almost seemed to be a state of wanting more but settling for what one currently has. However, last night when I heard being content, it meant more than just settling. The dictionary defines the feeling of content to be satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else. This is clearly not the same as settling for one's current situation. This is saying that you are where you are suppose to be! That you have found the place that you have been looking for. I have a long ways to go before I can say that I have learned to be content in all situations.

When thinking about being content in all situations, one of the first thoughts in my mind is about my job. I am a 9th grade physical science teacher. It isn't my dream job nor am I excited 100% of the time that I am doing my job. I do enjoy it. It is a challenge every day and I enjoy that. I feel much more confident in my teaching ability and often research and discuss with fellow teachers ways to improve our education system. While I am happy with my current job, I wouldn't be able to say that I am content. I couldn't say that nothing could be better.

In my own life, I am far from the person that I want to be. I often feel that I am in constant struggle against myself. I relate to Paul when he writes that he does the things he doesn't want to do and doesn't do what he wants to do. I am very happy with my friends. I couldn't ask for anything better with my friends than to wish for more time with them. I have friends that are always there for me and are willing to do anything for me. They care for me and seek for ways to help me be a better person. Materially I lack for nothing. I already feel that I have way to much stuff. I would love to be able to fit everything I owned into two boxed. Having too much stuff does not appeal to me. I am content with my friends, I am content with my possessions, but am not content with my daily living.

Because I am not content with my daily living, I often dream about living in another place or time. A much simpler life appeals greatly to me. I often dream what my life would be like if I lived hundreds of years ago. If perhaps I lived in grandparents generation. Or even if I lived in a remote area. To me, these dreams are an acknowledgment that I am not content with my life.

I feel that I finally have a target to reach for in my wanting to be content with my life. It is hard to strive to be content when my definition was a poor definition. I long for the day when I look at my life and say that I am where I belong and I no longer dream of being in a different place or time. I am not yet content with my life. I am only complacent with my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I'm not saying your definition or any body's definition is wrong, this is just my opinion after reading your blog.

Just a thought..
Do you not think that a large part of being content is accepting your life and not just finding "..the place that you have been looking for"? Paul wanted to go to Greece, which got delayed because he was a messenger of Jesus, therefore, he went where he was told to go. If he was truly content, by your definition, he would have gone to Greece, would he not? Wouldn't he be considered settling for his current situation because he knows he's doing the right thing by teaching the message of Jesus, in turn, not exactly being where he wants to be?

I understand your definition of content and it makes sense, but I also think what the scripture is saying is that you have to learn to be content with whatever you are given, whether it be great or terrible or what you want compared to what you don't want. I think Paul is content with his life because he trusts that the Lord will give him the strength and guidance he needs no matter what the circumstance.

So, ultimately, the definition of content is what you make it. If you aren't content with your life, then only you can fix it. Also, it's not a bad thing to wonder what it might have been like to live in another time period, maybe that just means you're imaginative!

Anonymous said...

Greece..Rome, either way he wasn't where he wanted to be! You get the picture!