Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Don't do as I do.

In a previous post, I talked about how I often make observations about people in my professions doing things I do not like and make note of these things. This is to not be nit-picky, but so that I do not do the same thing in the future. This started in college when I attended a valve distributors show at A&M. The show was obviously designed for the vendors and clients, but my professor was in charge of the show and wanted us to attend. He registered us and we had official name tags and everything. Upon arrival at the show, vendors would see that I was a student (it was on the name tag) and immediately have nothing to do with me. I had no money, so no attention was given. We were there to get to learn about the industry since we would be working with these people in just a year or two. I only had one vendor who would even give me the time of day. I spoke with my dad about this and he told me "Remember how it felt, and when you are in their position, act accordingly." That was some sound advise.

Today, I added a few tidbits of etiquette to my toolbox.

  • If you are in a position of leadership and meeting people you have never met before, introduce yourself
  • If you are in a position of leadership and need to know some information about people below you, go to the people who know the info. Don't waste everyones time by demanding the answer from those who don't know.
  • If you are in a position of leadership and upset with someone else in leadership, don't try to sabotage everyone else's work just to "get back" at that person.
  • If you are in a position of leadership and assign people to do a job, give them the information they need to complete their task.

Remember how it felt and when you are in their position, act accordingly.

No comments: