Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Day at the Park

I found a neat park near by yesterday. It is Blanchard Woods Park in Evans, GA. It is a new park, just opened in the fall of 2007. It is new enough that it isn't on Google Maps yet.



So let's check it out!



Like all good parks, they have rules and hours.



The park has 5 soccer fields as well as a playground.



But what interested me the most was the cross country course.



Not that I am big into cross country running, I only ran on the school's track team for one year and only ran when we didn't have enough participants. I never regularly ran the same event, I just ran whenever coach told me to go run. Needless to say, I never advanced.
Anyway, I have begun enjoying trail running. I have started running more and love hiking, so why not combine both?
The course is 5K in length and winds through the woods around the park along a creek, with a pond along the way. It is a nice wide trail, though it could use some attention behind the retention pond where water flows across the trail. The trail is marked by arrows on posts.





In a few places there were some pretty flowers. The red flowers were quite popular with the humming birds.





Near the end of the course is an old graveyard. The graveyard is the Mount Enon Cemetery. You can read the marker below. The cemetery was flagged though I didn't see any grave markers. Not sure what is going on with it.





The park wasn't very busy when I went. I've been out twice before and both times there were less than half a dozen people there. I imagine it can be busy during the soccer and cross country season. I wasn't the only one on the trail.



It is a great place to run. I am looking forward to returning.

2 comments:

chuck said...

What type of shoes do you rock for the trail runs? Anything special?

Living the Life said...

I wear a cross trainer shoe for the versatility on the terrain.