Tuesday, October 13, 2009

How I met the one I love

I love music. I almost always have music playing. I enjoy playing my guitar, though poorly. I have dreams of someday writing songs that I actually like.
Growing up, I have always enjoyed music. I have listened to a variety of music, from classic country to rock, americana to reggae, classic to top 40. In high school, I tended to listen to classic country and complained bitterly about the new music coming out of Nashville. I desired more than pop country. One early morning while tuning the dial on the radio, I found 98.7 FM, KTXN, the Texas Mix out of Victoria. My musical desire had been quench yet set on fire. The music that played out of the speakers in my truck was amazing. I heard all sorts of new artists that I had never known before. I heard lyrics that were poetic lines from heaven, guitar riffs that were fashioned in hell. Then the sun would rise and the melodious music would be replaced by static until that evening. I spent a year staying up late at night to listen to this music. I then went to college and enjoyed the 2 hours I spent driving through the heart of the broadcast area, taking in this music. The station is gone, but the music is still alive.

One of the artists that I learned of from KTXN was Bonnie Raitt. My favorite song of her's is Something to Talk About.

No comments: