Sunday, October 18, 2009

Come Fly With Me



My friend Jamie loves to fly.



I have rarely talked to her without her talking about flying. If you ask her what she loves to do, her response is "to get high." Today, she took me to get high.



Jamie flies a Cessna 150 Commuter. After introducing me to her plane, we went over a pre-flight check. She showed me the various parts of the plane and how to inspect it before flight. After she was made ready for flight, we taxied to the runway.




We took off on runway 36. Runways are numbers based on the first two numbers of their magnetic heading. So runway 36 has a magnetic heading of 360 or 000. Another thing Jamie taught me about aviation.



We took off and spent about an hour in the air, flying between 500' and 3500', soaring over lakes and swamps, bays and shorelines, watching children and dolphins play, bouncing on the wind, getting high.



She loves to share her enthusiasm of flying with everyone. That extended to letting me get my hands on the controls and flying the plane.



What a thrill! No wonder Jamie talks about it all the time.

She took back the controls and demonstrated what the plane is capable of, doing steep turns and a power-off stall.



After over an hour of flight, it was time for us to come down from our high. We returned to the airport, landing on runway 36.



Jamie loves getting high. Can you blame her?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Blame me, I dare you! :D

lanie said...

Jamie - I can see that Clinton maybe thinking "How can I fit flying lessons and ground school in with my Navy classes?"