Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Land

I love the beach


This week PBS has had a special on the National Park System called THE NATIONAL PARKS: AMERICA'S BEST IDEA, by Ken Burns. It was a great series which I faithfully watched every night, except I missed the first hour of the last episode. :(




The series focused on a part of the Park Service that I didn't know much about, the politics behind the formation of the service, the formation of the various parks, and some individual stories of people impacted by the parks such as park rangers, CCC workers, tourists, land owners, local residents, and John Muir. They mentioned something that I always felt about public lands. They are owned by the People of the USA and that makes me the largest land owner in the world.



I love traveling to see my land. I have traveled all over the country visiting various parks, forests, monuments, mountains, battlegounds, ships, museums, and seashores that I own. One of my favorite lands to visit is the beaches that I own.





Two of the beaches I have visited most are Padre Island and Perdido Key. I love going to the beach. Watching the sun break the horizon or crash into it. Watching the waves as that roll onto the seashore. Watching the birds and deer and they search for food. Feeling the sun, wind, sand, and water on my skin. Smelling the salty air. Finding shells and other oddities that the tides have brought in. I love the beach. Now it is known that I do not like swimming, but I love the beach. This is some of the best land that I own.



1 comment:

chuck said...

I like the miniseries too, but we only have three channels, and the national parks show is pretty much the only thing that comes on. After a while, you really have to be in the mood to watch it. We have started to call it "Americas Most Boring Idea"