Monday, June 17, 2019

Back on the Farm

Day 2 of the Great American Roadtrip brought us to Murray, Iowa, hometown of my grandparents and the final rest place for many of my extended family. It's a small farming town about an hour south of Des Moines, Iowa, just west of Osceola.

Arriving in Murray, we first went to my great uncle's farm.


If you go behind the barn and duck under the electric fence, you come to my favorite view on the farm.


The reason we are here though isn't for the view, but the people. So a few hours were spent on the porch hearing stories about growing up in southern Iowa. The kids entertained themselves chasing the farm cats.



The farm has been in the Phillips' family since before my uncle was born. He was born here and lived here his entire life, except for a few years in the Army. He and his wife have decided it's time to hangup the farm overalls and move into town.

We went into town and had dinner with my great aunt, she and my uncle are the 2 remaining for my grandma's generation. We were going to eat at Iron Horse in Osceola, but they are closed on Monday. So we ended up instead at the Family Table. Obligatory family photo taken, of course.


 The next morning was spent exploring the local cemeteries.


The Murray Cemetery has the Clarke Country Freedom Rock.


North of town is the Union Cemetery, the final resting place for more family members.


After paying our respects, we headed west.


No comments: